PROTECT YOUR WIG FROM HEAT AND MOISTURE TO MAKE IT LAST LONGER
A wig is a very popular fashion accessory and can really enhance your looks in a big way. It can also last fairly long, provided you take good care of it. Wigs are commonly made of natural human hair as well as synthetic hair. Both of these types are vulnerable to damage if not cared for properly.
The biggest problems that you will face with your wig are heat, humidity and dirt. Excessive humidity will result in the wig losing its style and natural shine. During the monsoons, or if you live in a humid place, you may see that what was perfectly fluffy even a day ago has become flat and lacklustre suddenly. The hair may also become frizzy.
So how do you take care of the wig to prevent this or bring it back to its original shape? Some renowned hairstylists have given us some valuable insights on this which we are sharing here.
- Keep it moist: inadequate moisture is the primary reason for wigs to fall apart. Heat and dryness will suck the moisture out of the hair and make it more porous. This gives rise to a problematic situation, as porous hair becomes frizzy easily. So ensure that the wig remains adequately moist, but not too much.
- Store in a cool and dry place: when you are not wearing the wig, store it in a place which is moderately cold, dry and dust free. This will prevent both heat and moisture from damaging it, and it will also not get dirty easily.
- Use heat protectant spray: the wig would need to be styled once in a while. Styling a wig which contains too much moisture is sure to damage it beyond repair. To avoid this, before starting the process of styling, use a protective spray on the wig to give it a shield against heat and moisture.
- Clean regularly: after every 8 to 10 wears, clean your wig. If the area where you stay is dry or humid, then you might have to clean the wig more frequently. Follow the procedure recommended by its manufacturer for cleaning the wig and be careful so that you do not damage it inadvertently.
- Wash in cold water: every cycle of cleaning the wig should be ended by rinsing it in cold water. Cold water is known to be especially beneficial to wigs because it prevents the moisture from coming in by sealing the pores in the wig. Thus, the wig stays protected from the natural elements and stays healthy for a long time.
- Air dry after every wash: avoid using a hair dryer on the wig as far as possible. Dry air tends to damage the fibre of the hair, and makes it extremely brittle. After a point of time the hairs start falling off, leaving the wig in an unusable state. To avoid such a situation, leave the wig to dry in natural air after every cleaning. This will allow the hair adequate time scope to adjust to the natural environment while drying up.
Related Post: WEAR A LACE FRONT TO GET A GORGEOUS LOOK